(h/t: Casual Hoya)
Just going to post some off-the-cuff thoughts here as I wait for the stats to post.
- Scotch. I'm not much of a drinker, but games like this are much more survivable with a little something to take the edge off. Most times, I'm looking for a nice small batch bourbon, but tonight called for some stronger stuff: scotch.
- Dan Hanner probably didn't get to watch much of this game, what with UNC v. Illinois on the mothership - too bad if so, but glad for his sake that the Illini won going away.
- Missouri fans are going to point to two plays as travesties of justice that stole away the game from them.
- Should Austin Freeman's 3FG after the shot clock buzzer have counted? Of course not. Now whether those extra three points were the difference is another matter entirely, as Doug Gottleib correctly pointed out at the start of overtime. You can't know how the second half unfolds if that shot is waved off.
- Did Jason Clark foul after the ball was in-bounded with 0.3 sec left? From the mid-court camera, it certainly looked like it (and Digger Phelps made sure to bring it up on Sportcenter after the game), but from the baseline camera, it is clear (to this wildly biased observer) that he never actually was able to make contact. Reminiscent of Chris Wright versus West Virginia, and inexcusable for trying.
- Speaking of Doug Gottlieb, I thought he was actually quite good tonight calling the game. I suspect this may partly have been because he was balancing the Mizzou alum (Dan McLaughlin) doing the play-by-play, but I've noticed this with other games he's called. I think it's because he forgets about the provocative schtick he uses in the studio during the game, and ends up playing it straight.
- I'm guessing the lunatic asylums are going nuts right now. This game reminds me of a more exciting version of the game vs. Washington in Anaheim last year - Mizzou looks to be a notch better than the Huskies were last year, but I'd put in on that level right now. Nice win, but it's only November, folks.
Much improved stats are now posted. Full game stats are now after the jump.